Midwest Trail Ride is located just south of Bloomington Indiana along Hwy 446 and Hunters Creek Rd; in beautiful Southern Indiana’s Lawrence County (view map). We are surrounded by the Hoosier National Forest with over 150 miles of trails to ride. We have 108 electric and water campsites, 13 cabins and 375 horse stalls. We are open every day from April – November for open camping, organized rides, group rides, and other special events.
Who we are?
Midwest Trail Ride
Rusty Spur Dining Hall
Rusty Spur Dining Hall is open for breakfast Saturdays and Sundays; 7:30 – 9:30 am. The Rusty Spur is only open for dinner during special events; please call ahead. Catering service is available for group events, weddings, etc
Outpost Store is open every day through the summer and limited hours during the winter. We specialize in “trail rider’s” gear and many unique things you don’t find at other tack stores. Jeff and Kim are trail riders and are constantly looking for quality products to share with customers and friends. Go to the “on line store” button above to get to our on line store.
- Trails- enjoy immediate access to over 100 miles of well marked trails in the Hoosier National Forest. We have 2 hours of riding right here on our trail system without having to purchase a trail tag. For the more adventurous, head on out to the Hickory Ridge Trail system or the Charles Deam Wilderness area.
- MTR is directly connected to the Hickory Ridge trail system, via our two trails 90 & 80.
- The Charles C. Deam Wilderness area can be accessed via Hunters Creek Rd. & Hunters Creek Trail Head.
- Nebo Ridge Trail connects the Hickory Ridge Trail system with Brown County trails via Elkinsville Rd. From here you can access Trail D and Trail E in Brown county S.P. trail system and Story Inn.
- Trail Permits: $5 per day or $35 annually….this is different than State Bridle Tags!
- Places to Ride:
Ride to Lake Monroe and have a picnic lunch and go swimming with your horse!
Ride to the historic Fire Tower and ride over the skinny Axsom Branch Trail !
Ride to the historic Hickory Grove Church built in 1880; Hitch rails, rest rooms and picnic area.
Ride to Lost Cabin Pass – Primitive camp built to 1880 time period (private property) Over night trips, lunch, entertainment, etc. Wind River Outfitters
- Ride down trail #1 to Forest Service primitive camp; Hickory Ridge Horse Camp
Ride down trail #2 to “Tennessee Indiana” & Hoosier Horse Camp (private campgrounds)
- Ride to Story Inn for dinner (reservations only) (might require our trailer taxi to pick you up).
Ask Kim to help you plan your adventure or go with a trail guide.
- Trailer Taxi Service to different trail heads in the HNF $10 – $30
- Take a “taxi ride” to the other side of the forest for a change of scenery; while still enjoying the amenities of Midwest Trail Ride!
- There are LOTS of wonderful places to ride in the HNF from Midwest Trail Ride. Kim will help you create a custom adventure!
- Horses: Bring your horse camping with you. If you do not own a horse, ask about renting one of our seasoned trail horses, guided rides and weekend packages for non-horse owners. Whether you choose one of our guided rides, or choose to ride on your own, you will experience lakes, streams, diverse stands of hardwoods and pine forests that grace the hills and valleys of the Hoosier landscape.
Trail Guides:Most guided rides are walk only and geared to beginning trail riders. If you go, please be respectful of the trail guides as they work with beginning riders. Trail Guides may not necessarily ride in front, they will ride where it works best for all horses on the ride. If you are coming alone this is a good way to meet others. Groups are typically less than 10 people.
Come Ride, Rest and Relax at Midwest Trail Ride!